by Christina Sarich
September 19th, 2013
In just seven days after planting sunflower seeds, you can munch on some of the most beneficial micro-greens around. Sunflowers offer incredible health benefits, and you can eat many parts of the plant. Finding fresh sunflower sprouts is very difficult, but it is so simple to grow your own. You can also allow a few of the plants to grow into mature sunflowers which will then yield thousands of new seeds for you to grow again – an entirely sustainable way to feed your body and mind.
Here are 11 reasons to grow your own organic sunflowers:
- 1. Sunflower greens offer one of the most balanced forms of a complete plant protein around. They provide all the essential amino acids and help to repair muscle tissue while supporting the enzymes of the body to do their jobs as well.
- 2. Sprouted sunflower greens, known as microgreens, also contain up to 100 times the enzymes of regular, full-grown greens. This means your body can more easily assimilate important phytonutrients, vitamins and minerals.
- 3. Sunflower greens are full of folate (folic acid), and B complex, vital nutrients for pregnant women and a developing baby.
- 4. High levels of antioxidants in sunflower greens can aid in heart health, slow aging, and support cellular recovery. High levels of vitamins C, E, and selenium can even reduce high blood pressure and improve arterial health.
- 5. Sunflower greens are packed with nutrition and have very low calories, so they are a perfect food for those who want to lose weight.
- 6. Sunflower greens contain lecithin which help to break down fatty acids in the body.