December 15, 2013, by Ken Jorgustin
Burglars know that shoppers are out shopping during the holiday season, and look for easy targets and vulnerabilities to exploit.
Here are a few common-sense tips to reduce the odds of becoming a victim…
1. Eliminate any signs that you are gone. Make your house look like you are home. Leave some lights on. Leave the TV or radio on.
2. Don’t tweet or facebook your social status that you are out shopping.
3. Maintain situational awareness of what is happening around you.
4. Don’t daydream while you’re walking around.
5. Keep your head up and look around you. Look confident.
6. Avoid walking around with your head down in your smart phone while texting.
7. Shoppers should always keep one hand free. When you are carrying a lot of bags or packages in both hands, you are more vulnerable.
8. When you are out shopping, go with someone else. Shop in pairs. Thieves are less likely to strike when there are a lot of people around.