by Gaye Levy
4th October 2013
As smug as we may feel about our own prepping efforts, sometimes there is still a tendency to procrastinate a bit with one thing or another. I am not pointing any fingers, mind you, since I too fall victim of being overwhelmed by it all. The disorganized array of my food storage is just one case in point. I still don’t have a good inventory so what do I do? I just buy more. Stupid, I know.
Still, for the most part, I keep plugging away, knowing that the economy is in shambles in spite of what our leaders say. The planet is becoming increasingly unstable with weird weather patterns and a proliferation of 100 year storms or worse. Governments are becoming secretive and Gestapo-like, spying on citizens and there is the insidious removal of our constitution rights.
Things, to me, are unsettling yet most people I know still see no need to start prepping at all. Heck, they think being prepared is having five gallons of water and a dozen cans of tuna.
That brings me to the topic of today’s article: “50 Excuses for Not Prepping”.
A while back, Michael Snyder came up with this list of excuses that people use when they say there is no need to prepare. Talk about some cockamamie excuses. I hope you will read through the list yourself if for no other reason than to recognize that there are those around you that are ignorant.
THE TOP 50 REASONS FOR NOT PREPPING
1. The U.S. Economy Is The Greatest Economy On The Planet – There Is No Way That It Could Ever Collapse
2. Once Barack Obama Wins The Election Everything Will Be Better (Gaye’s note: This one as well as #4 are a bit dated but the concept is still valid.)
3. Once Mitt Romney Wins The Election Everything Will Be Better
4. When Things Get Really Bad The Government Will Take Care Of Us
5. When Disaster Strikes I Will Just Steal From Everyone Else That Has Been Busy Preparing
6. The Rapture Will Be At Any Moment So I Don’t Have To Worry About Prepping
7. The Economy Has Always Recovered After Every Recession In The Past And This Time Will Be No Different
8. The People That Are Running Things Are Very Highly Educated And They Know Exactly What They Are Doing
9. Wal-Mart Will Always Be There
10. Our Politicians Are Watching Out For Our Best Interests
11. The 2012 Apocalypse Is Almost Here And We Are All Doomed Anyway – So Why Even Try?
12. Preppers Do Not Have A Positive Mental Attitude
13. If An Economic Collapse Comes I Will Just Go On Welfare
14. There Are Some Things You Just Can’t Prepare For
15. Prepping Is Too Expensive
16. We Are Not Like Other Countries – U.S. Cities Are Designed To Withstand Major Earthquakes
17. I Need To Save Up For Retirement Instead
18. The Stock Market Has Been Soaring So Why Worry?
19. I Don’t Have Room To Store Anything
20. Prepping Is For Crazy People
21. I Don’t Believe In Conspiracy Theories
22. All The Food I Store Is Going To Go Bad
23. I Would Rather Spend My Time Watching American Idol
24. All The People Who Freaked Out About Y2K Look Really Foolish Now, Don’t They?
25. I Don’t Want To Look Like Those Idiots On ‘Doomsday Preppers’
26. An EMP Attack Could Never Happen
27. There Will Never Be A Nationwide Transportation Disruption In The United States
28. Instead Of Being So Paranoid, I Would Rather Just Enjoy Life
29. If Society Falls Apart I Wouldn’t Want To Continue To Live Anyway
30. There Will Never Be Another World War
31. I’m Too Lazy To Grow A Garden
32. If You Assume The Worst Is Going To Happen Then You Don’t Believe In America
33. Deficits Don’t Matter
34. I’ll Always Be Able To Get A Job In My Field
35. If There Is A Financial Collapse All Of My Debts Will Be Wiped Out So I Might As Well Live It Up Now
36. If Things Hit The Fan I Will Just Go Move In With My Relatives Who Have Been Busy Prepping
37. Those That Believe That There Will Be Massive Riots In American Cities Someday Are Just Being Delusional
38. My Spouse Would Think That I Have Finally Lost It
39. I Don’t Know Where To Start
40. I’ll Just Deal With Problems As They Arrive
41. I Don’t Have To Prepare For A Natural Disaster – That Is What FEMA Is For
42. We’ll Never See Martial Law In The United States
43. I Don’t Want To Scare My Children
44. Once I Get Rid Of All My Debt Then I Will Start Thinking About Prepping
45. My Relatives Already Think That I Am A Nut Job – I Don’t Need To Make It Any Worse
46. If People At Work Find Out That I Am Prepping It Could Hurt My Career
47. If There Really Was A Good Reason To Prepare They Would Tell Us About It On The News
48. People Have Been Predicting Doom And Gloom For Years And It Hasn’t Happened Yet
49. The United States Is The Greatest Nation On Earth – There Is No Way That It Could Collapse
50. I Don’t Plan On Becoming A Card Carrying Member Of The Tin Foil Hat Brigade
THE FINAL WORD
I don’t need to tell you that the vast majority of people simply assume that things will always work themselves out or that they will magically be immune to whatever crisis or calamity is headed our way.